Our Mission Statement
Student/Performer Bill Of Rights
You have the right:
- To be and feel safe during classes, rehearsals, and performances.
- To set boundaries regarding physical contact and subject matter that might trigger a negative emotional response. You have the right to dictate what kind of physical touch you receive.
- To immediately step out of any scene, performance, rehearsal or class in which you feel unsafe or uncomfortable. And you have the right to excuse yourself from any scene, performance, or exercise without explanation.
- To inform your teacher or coach of anything you want them to know ahead of time, such as physical or emotional conditions that might make playing certain games difficult or uncomfortably challenging.
- To speak to any teacher, staff member, adviser, owner, or any other representative of Voodoo Comedy Playhouse regarding behavior by any person that you feel infringes on your rights.
- To turn down a suggestion from an audience/teacher/fellow student you feel is demeaning.
- To define what feels fun and what feels comfortable (and uncomfortable) for you without judgment from others.
- To fail, to succeed, to explore.
- To love your work!
Exercising any of these rights will not adversely affect your ability to progress in classes, to be cast in house teams, or to be booked for shows. Click HERE to download a PDF version of this Bill Of Rights!
Harassment & Offensive Behavior Policy
Under no circumstances should a teacher, show director, coach – or any other individual – demand or expect any physical interest from you in exchange for opportunities or anything else. (Certainly there are plenty of examples of improvisers in relationships successfully working together – that's not a concern. The issue here is use/abuse of power in unfair treatment of others.)
Under no circumstances should you be expected to tolerate unwelcome sexual attention or advances from other students or performers, whether that happens inside or outside class, online, via text, or any other method. While there are limits to what we can help with outside the walls of our classrooms and theater, we ask you to advise us as situations arise so that we can address them to the best of our ability and identify patterns.
Under no circumstances should you continue with a scene that makes you feel physically or emotionally unsafe. We encourage you to leave or end a scene by whatever means works in the moment and to address the issue backstage following the performance (preferably as soon as practicable). We further recommend that individuals bring up issues in the presence of the entire cast and director/coach, if possible. These issues are not between individuals, they affect the entire group, and the entire group should support the conversation. Failure to support a member of the group in expressing concerns about their emotional and physical safety may indicate a much larger problem with the cast/group.
We care very much about fostering a safe and healthy environment at the Voodoo Comedy Playhouse. We do not believe in "good" versus "bad" people – it is behavior that needs to be identified and addressed. Depending on the severity of the issue, our primary goal will be to point out the problem and provide a clear path/guidelines for making needed changes. In cases of physical endangerment, unlawful behavior or repeat offenses, we will take stronger measures as we are legally able, up to and including termination of teachers or staff, discontinuing a student's classes, and/or removing a performer's privilege to appear on our stage. Also possible are a time-limited probation and/or complete banning from the theater.
Harassment & Incident Reporting
If you experience any type of misconduct (disrespect, harassment, abuse, assault, etc.), or if you witness misconduct taking place, please CLICK HERE to visit Lighthouse Services, our 100% anonymous reporting service, and file a report. You can also call 844-420-0044 to place a report via phone. All Voodoo management, staff, instructors, performers, and students are subject to these policies, and all reports are taken seriously and dealt with quickly.